Friday, November 2, 2012

meeting Libertarianism

so i am righting this blog, and these ideas purely for myself... and i say that so i can justify myself later if anybody disagrees with me :).  i have feelings inside i need to express.  i need to understand them and keeping them inside is driving me crazy.

 the current state of this world makes my heart bleed.  now i've always had this distaste for politics ever since people started talking about them.  early on in life i found myself at odds with my "families" political perspective and that of my friends i associated with.  my family, conservative... specifically individual freedom, integrity, and free market ideals made a lot of sense to me.  my friends however gave me the opposite perspective and to a certain extent ridiculed me for standing up for a conservative perspective.  this dissonance drove me crazy and well i learned, like most people do in life, to keep my politics to myself (excluding all those times you get really drunk and start talking politics or religion lol).

later in life, after sitting silently through discussions of my friends talk about liberal perspective, i started to question what it was i believed in.  i mean i believe in personal responsibility and individual freedom but i couldn't shake the fact that MOST people i knew associated with the left.  it made me feel uneasy, like i was missing some big peace of the puzzle.  i guess you could say i walked around in this political haze for a number of years.

this started to when i was working at the Minnesota State Fair.  while not working very hard at a lemonade stand, i came across a libertarian newsletter.  on the back of this newsletter, it described what was a 'Libertarian,' a word i had never heard before.  heck everything i read made sense! i felt inspired, but didn't really know what to do with this 'inspiration.'  i tried to tell my friends about it, but like most 'people' they ignore you or get angry when you try to offer ANYTHING new that may possibly contradict their existing belief system.  i mean we are people right?  we know everything! there is no room for any new idea! lol

at this point in time i wasn't sure what to do with this new little political party so i stayed a republican for a few more years until the 2008 election.  the 2008 election brought me at complete odds, on one hand i have my family who is republican and most everyone i know, liberal.  i really had no idea what i was going to do... i didn't feel like i could vote for either of these parties because on some weird level i was letting one of the 2 important groups of people in my life down.  i turned to the internets and looked up libertarian again... i started reading and without much thought decided to vote independent and vote libertarian.  it was a happy medium between letting my friends and family down ~ not like they were depending on me, but in my head they were in some weird way.

No comments:

Post a Comment